Different Ways To Donate
BC Guide Dog Services provides guide dogs at no cost to our clients in British Columbia and Alberta. We rely primarily on donations from individuals, corporations, Foundations, Service Clubs and special events run by our organization and on our behalf by third party groups. We receive government grants through the BC Gaming Commission and Alberta's Community Spirit fund, when these funds are available.
General Donations and Puppy Sponsorship
Whether you would like to make a general donation or support us by sponsoring a puppy, you can do so online (through a charity website called CanadaHelps) or by contacting one of our offices. Both donations and puppy sponsorships can be given as gifts - we'll even send a personalized letter to your gift recipient! Click here to learn more about sponsoring a puppy.
CanadaHelps is a registered charity (charitable number 896568417RR0001) with a mission to provide secure, low-cost online donation technology to donors and the Canadian charities they support.
In British Columbia call: 604-940-4504
or outside the Greater Vancouver Region call toll free 1-877-940-4504.
In Alberta call: 403-258-0819
or outside the Calgary area call toll free 1-877-258-0819.
"In Memory of" Donations
Donations made in memory of a loved one are a wonderful way to recognize the recent passing of that someone special, be they a parent, spouse, child, friend, relative or family pet. We will send a customized letter of acknowledgment to the next of kin (click here for sample)
- Please click here to download a BC donation form
- Please click here to download an Alberta donation form
Make a Lasting Contribution
Lasting Contributions may be gifts made by way of Bequests (through your will), Endowments and Life Insurance Policies. The following Gift Plans will make a huge impact on the continuing success of both BC Guide Dog Services and Alberta Guide Dog Services.
- A bequest: a gift given through a Will. Instructions may be left indicating how the capital or interest or both may be spent on either general or specific purposes.
- An endowment: These are funds from which only the income can be spent and the capital being preserved. Endowments may be established in memory of a loved one or for a special occasion.
- A life insurance policy: You can name us as a beneficiary on a new policy or donate an existing policy and receive a significant year-end charitable deduction. There are also estate tax savings. This provides BC and Alberta Guide Dog Services with a significant gift at a low cost to you.
- Charitable gift annuities and trusts: are gifts that allow donors to leave a bequest or make a gift, while receiving an immediate tax receipt.
- Stocks, bonds & other securities: If stocks, bonds or other securities are worth more now than when you acquired them, you can maximize the tax benefit by transferring them directly to BC Guide Dog Services. You will receive fair market value for your gift based on the date of your gift and, in most cases, avoid capital gains taxes on the appreciated value. (PLEASE NOTE: *This is not intended to be tax advice, which can only be provided by your qualified tax advisor.*)
- Used Vehicle Donation: If you are have an old vehicle (working or not working), you can donate it to us through CharityCar.ca (listed as BC Guide Dog Services) or Donate a Car Canada. They will arrange to pick up or receive your vehicle for free, and you will receive a tax receipt for your donation.
Our Legal Title
For more information or to ask questions about any of the options above please contact our office at 1-877-940-4504.
Our legal title is:
- British Columbia Guide Dog Services
Our registered charity number is: 89131 1763 RR0001.